Monday, April 10, 2006

Photos and Poetry

I went to the Japanese Gardens this weekend, and today I uploaded photos, which can be seen here.



I also took a photo of the painted ivy jar sitting on the windowsill in the sun. I've never taken it to work; I find I don't want to; but I do like it here.

And poetry. Taking inspiration from this week's Contagious Creativity post, I offer these (both are first-draft, as written, without intense editing - please forgive any typos or sillinesses that crept in that I have not noticed):

1.

You have given me your whispered
careful words spaced breath by breath
beneath a blue sky, no mist
and no questions, this impression
that the world believes, this escape
into the silences between words,
into breath, a leaf floating down
between us. And I, wordless, trust.

2.

It is night. A single leaf scrapes
along the sidewalk; a cat yowls
some proposition unthinkable
in the distance, to fight or to

something more. The mist
comes slowly up from the creek,
careful as it pulls itself over dirt
and onto pavement, this gift

in the silence and the dark,
this offering, this moment
of plausible escape, as I
bite the cold air. Alive.

4 comments:

Leah said...

lovely poem!! i like the line about the leaf floating down between you.

Kara said...

Oooo, looking at your Japanese garden photos and reading your poetry and then reading your Sunday Scribble - they have all softened my mind. I feel peaceful - thank you for these offerings of moments and musings

Anonymous said...

Lovely poem and gorgeous photos! And since I have no photos from the Japanese gardens in PDX, I particularly enjoyed them. :)

Shuku said...

That's a lovely poem lady. Purr. And a cat shape!