Friday, November 17, 2006

My mother....

I don't know any good way to say news like this. My mother, whose health has been failing for some time, was diagnosed with lung cancer today, after tests started on Wednesday. It has already spread; and she is not a candidate for any aggressive treatment (she can't afford to lose the healthy cells that are left, and she is not strong and her weight is low; and chemo doesn't work well with this cancer). Weeks, months, maybe a year.

They will be working on setting up hospice care, and my father has been taking care of her and will continue. I will probably be very scarce. If I make time for art, I will post it, but my attempts to stay semi-committed to AEM are at an end here. I know myself: if I don't formally say I quit, I will guilt trip myself if I miss too much. And I have a feeling I will be doing relatively little that I view as art to be posted, if I do any art at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my longest friend (56 years) was diagnosed this year with Stage III ovarian cancer. Things like that put life and projects into perspective. I dropped everything and flew from the east coast to the west to be with her on the first follow-up with dr. yes she has family and yes she wanted me there too.

There are never words for this kinds of news. My heart goes out to you. I wish you and your family peace through all of this.